Monday, February 27, 2012

RR 19 IDENTIFY strategies to differentiate assessment.

There are many ways to differentiate assessment. For my language learners I always try to give them formal tests/quizzes in L1, this seems to make a real difference especially for learners with lower literacy skills related to reading. As a by product, these students also get visual and real cue that you are going to try and make a difference for them. Especially if they have not had this before and then you take over a class and all of a sudden here is a test that they can read and understand much easier. I also differentiate on written assignments. For example, on one particular assessment the class was to write a five paragraph essay. My student was unable to complete this task because of his level of writing proficiency, so I had him answer short answer prompts that related to the same content.  Another way I have differentiated assessment is for my SpEd students, on multiple choice tests I reduce the number of distractors for them if they have a reading or comprehension related issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment